TIPS ON PREVENTING TUBERCULOSIS
About one million Filipinos have active Tuberculosis (TB) disease and every day more than 70 people lose their lives to TB. While it is a curable disease, prevention still proves to be better than cure.
- Make it a habit to cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing, either with a cloth, tissue, or your hands. Discard used tissues properly to avoid spreading bacteria.
- Wash your hands properly after coughing or sneezing.
- Have proper ventilation in your rooms/house.
- Make sure to avail of the vaccines against TB. Primarily for children, the Bacillus Calmette-Guerin is a vaccine given to prevent tuberculosis. For children under five years of age, the vaccine is given free.
- Finish your entire course of medication. Stopping or skipping your medication poses a chance for TB bacteria to develop, resulting to difficulty in treating the disease.
- Avoid close contact with TB patients. If a family member is diagnosed with TB, sleep in a separate room and designate personal utensils.
https://www.nyahomedical.com. Accessed February 2020
https://www.who.int. Accessed February 2020