Tips for a Less Stressfu
Immunization for Your Child
As a parent, taking your child for a vaccination may be equally as stressful as it is for them. Reading about possible preparations beforehand and keeping these tips in mind may help in a less stressful well-visit to the doctor.
- Ask for something sweet for your young one. Having something sweet can help reduce their pain during vaccine.
- If possible, a great way to calm and relax your baby is to breastfeed. Breastmilk has a slight sweetness which can help reduce pain.
- Ask for a pain reliever or ointment. Pain relievers can block pain signals from the skin. Using it beforehand can reduce your and your child's stress when vaccinated.
- Stay honest and calm. Take time to explain in simple terms what your child will go through. Reassure them of the importance of vaccination to their long-term health.
- Divert attention. If allowed, you may bring an item that brings comfort to your child. You can use it to pull your child's attention away from the shot giver.
- Monitor after visit. Your child may have reactions or minor side effects after the shot. It's important to occasionally monitor and contact your child's doctor if anything concerns you.
https://www.cdc.gov. Accessed March 2020