Ways to Help the Elderly During COVID
- Check on them frequently, preferably by phone given the risk of transmission.
- Buy groceries, supplies and medicines for them.
- Make sure they have at least a month's stock of all their regular medicines in case they need to stay home.
- Help them connect with doctors, neighbors, friends, and family if needed.
- Remind them to wash their hands frequently, keep objects and surfaces clean, and avoid physical contact with those who are sick.
- Make a plan in case they fall ill and decide how transportation will be arranged to seek health care.
- Encourage them to maintain a healthy lifestyle: eat nutritious foods, get enough sleep, don't smoke, limit alcohol use, and stay active.
- Be kind and show empathy. Talk and listen to them, help them cope with stress. Once the pandemic is over, you will hug again!
- If your loved one is in a home for the elderly, avoid visits. Use phone, video chat or email to keep in touch. If they are at home, maintain a distance of at least 1 meter when you visit and avoid physical contact such as hugs and handshakes.
https://www.paho.org. Accessed September 2021
The article written above is for informational and educational purposes only. For serious medical and health concerns, please consult a licensed health provider.