Back pain in any form can make it hard to concentrate on your tasks. Common causes are exerting too much force on your back by lifting or moving heavy objects, repeating certain movements especially those that involve twisting or rotating your spine and an inactive job especially if you have poor posture or if you sit all day in a chair with inadequate back support.
Here are tips on how you can avoid back pain:
- Get active by strengthening your back with muscle-strengthening and stretching exercises at least twice a week.
- Pay attention to your posture, try not to slouch when standing or sitting. If you work at a computer, position your monitor, keyboard, mouse and chair properly.
- Lift things correctly – get close to the object, bend your knees, lift from your legs not your back, get help if object is too heavy.
- Watch your weight and get enough calcium and vitamin D.
- Adapt the best sleeping position: if you prefer to sleep on your side, pull up your knees slightly toward your chest or if you prefer to sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees and another under your lower back.
- Avoid high heels, skinny jeans and lighten your wallet. Limit the time spent carrying heavy briefcases, purses, or bags.
- Take a lot of breaks every 10 minutes, stand, and stretch for at least 20 seconds.
- Stop smoking – smokers are especially vulnerable to back pain.
https://www.health.gov. Accessed August 2022
https://www.webmd.com. Accessed August 2022
https://www.mayoclinic.org. Accessed August 2022
The article written above is for informational and educational purposes only. For serious medical and health concerns, please consult a licensed health provider.