Here are helpful ways for parents on how to nurture a child’s mental health as they mature.
1. Be in sync. Pay close attention to your child’s verbal and nonverbal cues. This will enable you to know when to provide help or when they need someone to talk to.
2. Allow your child to experience failure. As long as your child is safe, let them experience and learn from their failures and mistakes. You can offer support and encourage them when they need it.
3. Model good behavior. Children learn from their parents. Start by being open about how you are feeling without oversharing. Show them how you bounce back from a mistake. This will teach your child how to be resilient.
4. Encourage them to build relationships. Allow your child to make friends so they can develop their social skills.
5. Motivate healthy choices. Physical health affects mental health and vice versa. Encourage your child to adopt healthy eating, sufficient sleep and regular exercise habits to prevent mental health problems.